Transportation & Logistics: Low-resource and low-energy modes of transport
Transporting stone, aggregates and gravel is heavy and energy intensive. Compared to other modes of transport, however, ocean shipping is recognised as one of the most energy-efficient modes of transport. (Cf. Federal Environment Agency (UBA): https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/service/uba-fragen/wie-umwelt-freundlich-ist-der-transport-einem (Last accessed on 27.05.2022)
Through our logistics network, almost all of our products can be transported near to our customers by energy efficient vessels. All our vessels are innovatively equipped and efficiently operated. This allows us to offer customers a more environmentally friendly and lower-emission logistics option compared to most other modes of transport.
Our fleet of ships complies with the extensive requirements of the International Maritime Organization (IMO). We maintain and modernize our ships at regular intervals.
Our seagoing vessels all meet the strict requirements for air pollutants and the Ballast Water Treatment. To reduce sulphur emissions, we use scrubbers and ballast water treatment systems to protect ecosystems.
On our ships, we combine innovation and energy efficiency - resulting in, for example, discharges of 40,000 tons in just seven hours. The Mibau Stema fleet is the most advanced fleet of self-dischargers in the world. Measures implemented to improve the environmental footprint and comply with EEXI and CII requirements include:
Reducing fuel consumption by:
- Increasing the average load volume through fleet renewal and expansion
- Modifications of the main engines of the older vessels
- Use of optimised propellers
- Antifouling painting of the ship's hull
- Increase of the unloading capacity (belt speed)
- More efficient control of the entire fleet through specially developed software
- Slow steaming when required
- Modified bulbous bow
- Use of costa bulbs and EnergoProFin
Reduction of other resource consumption e.g. by:
- Avoidance of plastic bottles on board (previously > 100,000 per year)
- Avoidance of packaging material through the use of deposit boxes for food & beverage deliveries (previously always in cartons and shrink-wrapped)
All trucks used by us must comply with the EURO 6 standard.